- City Clerk
- Domestic Partnership Registration
Domestic Partnership Registration
The City of Hopkins has a domestic partnership registry available to residents of Hopkins. The domestic partnership registry is a means by which unmarried, committed couples who reside in Hopkins and who share a life and home together may document their relationship.
Who can register?
Domestic Partners are two adults who meet all of the following:
- Are not related by blood closer than permitted under marriage laws of the state.
- Are not married.
- Are competent to enter into a contract.
- Are jointly responsible to each other for the necessities of life.
- Are committed to one another to the same extent as married persons are to each other, except for the traditional marital status and solemnities.
- Do not have any other domestic partner(s).
- Are both at least 18 years of age.
- Reside in Hopkins.
How to register
To apply for a domestic partnership in the City of Hopkins, please complete an application (PDF) and deliver or mail it, along with the application fee of $25, to the City Clerk’s Office.
About Hopkins’ Domestic Partnership Ordinance
Hopkins’ Domestic Partnership ordinance is a City ordinance (Article II - Domestic Partnership Registration Program (PDF)) and does not create rights, privileges, or responsibilities that are available to married couples under state or federal law.
The City of Hopkins cannot provide legal advice concerning domestic partnerships. Applicants and registrants may wish to consult with an attorney for such advice including but not limited to: wills, medical matters, finances and powers of attorney, children and dependents, medical, health care and employment benefits.
If you have any questions, please contact the City Clerk at 952-548-6304.